“TOGETHER WE REACH THE GOAL"
Quebec selection: Categories, thresholds, criteria and points awarded
The system is based on the same principle as at the federal level. The law determines categories and subcategories of immigrants, each of which includes selection criteria. The criteria may vary and the thresholds of points to be reached are different. For Quebec, the eliminatory criterion concerns certain types of employment.
Categories and thresholds to reach
Quebec's law identifies four broad sub-categories of immigrants:
1. Qualified workers : These candidates come to Quebec to live and work there. If they are single, they must obtain 50 points out of 99 and, if they are married, 59 points out of 116, because the characteristics of the spouse are evaluated. There is therefore no advantage or disadvantage of being married or single. Candidates with close relatives in Quebec are evaluated according to the same criteria as the self-employed.
2. Self-employed: These candidates will come to Quebec to create their own job in their trade or profession. They must get 44 points out of 81 if they are single or 51 out of 93 if they are married and will have to submit a detailed business plan.
3. Entrepreneur : These candidates will come to Quebec to create or buy a business or a business with about two employees, other than themselves or their dependents. They must obtain 60 points out of a potential of 110, whether they are married or single, and will have to submit a precise and detailed business plan, which they must explain and justify, according to the Quebec market. The amount of money that the candidates will bring with them must be sufficient for the realization of their business project.
4. investors : These candidates must obtain 40 points out of 92, regardless of whether they are married or not. All of their assets (not investment) are over $ 1,600,000 and they will invest in Quebec passively (no business to create and business plans to justify). Through us, it is possible to proceed with a minimum down payment. If necessary, we provide more details on this category to those who request it by fax or telephone.
The criteria and their maximum weighting are as follows:
1. The training, evaluated on 26 points, is subdivided into two sections. The first evaluates the level of the highest degree earned on up to 14 points. The second section allows to receive a maximum of 12 points if the training completed by the candidate is on the list of privileged formations enacted by the government. As the name of the courses varies between Quebec studies and studies from other countries, a thorough analysis work must be done here.
2. The experience, evaluated on 8 points, must have been acquired as part of a qualifying job. It should be noted, however, that in some cases we can add all internships and work experience while in others we have to limit ourselves to very specific periods, some internships may also be excluded.
3. The age assessed on 16 points, is a non-eliminatory criterion which gives to everyone from 18 to 35 years the maximum of points. For those under 18 and over 35, the number of points is going down. On the other hand, we repeat that this factor is not eliminatory and that good grades acquired with the other criteria can compensate for a bad result with this one.
4. Languages are evaluated on a maximum of 22 points including 16 for French and 6 for English.
5. The candidate's financial autonomy, evaluated on only 1 point, is one of the most important criteria of the entire selection grid since it is eliminatory. If the amount declared by the candidate is not sufficient in relation to the minimum set by the government or if the proof of assets is not satisfactory, the candidate's application will be automatically rejected even if the entire his record is excellent. Note that this amount varies depending on the number of dependents and their age.
6. The presence of children is evaluated on a maximum of 8 points. The number of points varies according to the number of children and the age of each one.
7. The presence of a parent in Quebec is assessed on a maximum of 3 points, depending on the degree of relationship. In the old regulation, friends brought points, this is no longer the case today. This change dates from October 2006.
8. The purpose of the interview is to establish the suitability of the candidate based on his personal qualities, motivation and knowledge of Québec.
9. A minimum stay of the candidate in Quebec, evaluated on a maximum of 5 points according to the type of trip and the duration of the stay.
10. A minimum stay of the candidate in Quebec, evaluated on a maximum of 5 points according to the type of trip and the duration of the stay.10. The characteristics of the candidate's spouse is the last criterion of the selection grid. Out of a maximum of 17 points, it assesses the spouse's French level, diplomas and age. For business people (self-employed, entrepreneurs and investors).
11. Validated job offer: Up to 10 points are awarded for this criterion, which however affects a small part of the candidates.